The Future Of Work – Skills for the 21st Century
The right Skills will be needed in the new economy – and globalisation and technological change (the so-called “New Machine Age/4th Industrial Revolution”) is making skills that we used to have redundant – FAST!!
We will need to have the necessary skills needed to cope with this massive change….
How will we be able to upskill ourselves when the necessary skills required are changing so fast?
An OECD survey identified some of the issues that need to be addressed:-
- The Transition from School to Work
- Return to Skills
- Skill Mismatch
- Skill Use at the Workplace
- Changing Comparative Advantage and Global Value Chains (GVCs)
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution – major impact on the demands and the supply of skills
- Lifelong Learning – this is key
- Wellbeing – Life Balance
A detailed white paper can be found here https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/education/skills-for-the-21st-century_96e69229-en#page10
My big take on this, is that for you to survive and thrive in the modern economy, you need to learn how to learn!
We were priviliged to host a brilliant mastermind lunch with world leading innovators and disruptors Heather McGowan and Chris Shipley
What do you want to be when you grow up?
- 65% of jobs on the market don’t exist yet
- 47% of current jobs will be automated
- Only 27% of students will work in their major
- And most jobs will only exist in 5 industries!
In the past, you would do a degree, learn your trade, and ou were qualified. That does not cut it any more. Because things are changing so fast, what you learnt a few years ago will be redundant, and if you do not learnt “new way” of doing things, you will be left behind.
The reality of change is the norm, and is you are to keep up with the times, you will need to break through your comfort zone of what you know, because what you know will become redundant
Lifelong learning is key
Is it relevant for you to learn them now (as in a few years time , they will be different anyway)
In 10 years time, jobs that exist today will be redundant, but there will be more jobs that will be needed , which will be augmented by AI.
What are the 5 things you need to know to survive and thrive in the new economy?
- Get comfortable being uncomfortable
- Know your why (your purpose)
- Learning agility is the bomb
- Unbundle work and talent
- Reorganisation required reorientation
This is an exciting time for people who are open to change, and are willing to learn how to learn .
We were really priviliged to host a brilliant session by world leading experts, Chris Shipley and Heather McGowan
Spark published a brilliant article on the future of jobs
So what do you the skills are that you think will be in demand in 2050?
Posted on April 10, 2018